Open topic
Urban schools have potential and I feel that if there are teachers that push students, urban schools can become something more than just what the media, music, and what people discuss about inner cities. I would like to think that one day, when someone says “urban school,” people would say, “Potential,” or “We can see great things from urban areas,” etc. Although, when we hear urban schools or inner city school, people tend to view it as hopelessness, has no real outcome, and “little hope that one day they think they can make it.” I know that urban schools are viewed through others eyes, but I feel that urban school have the most potential. I feel that inner city school have so much to offer, and the adolescents have the possibility to break away from the typical stereotypes.
Learning from this course, I feel that urban area is where teachers are needed most. I feel that becoming an excellent educator, I need to reflect back on my experience as a student in an urban school environment, my courses during my college years and in the shoes as a student teacher. There are many things I need to learn and hopefully I will continue to grow in the education field.
Friday, June 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It would indeed be great to hear positive comments when others refer to urban education. Much like other stereotypes, whenever something positive occurs people tend to say wow it happened in an urban setting, instead of just another success in a school, without the need to isolate it.
As far as resources, urban areas have so much to offer, from libraries, to museums, to centers, parks, many resources that are often forgotten or misused instead of playing an important role in their education. It is a shame that many teachers don't get the opportunity to make use of these resources for lack of budget or a belief on the part of administrators or simply politics.
Post a Comment