Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

What is Memorial Day?

Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day. Memorial Day is the day we remember those who have died for our nation, the ultimate sacrifice for one’s nation. Today, Memorial Day, is seen as a day off, a day for sales and shopping, and a day for BBQ. To tell you the truth I did not really know the meaning behind Memorial Day until I looked it up. I can understand why we celebrate Memorial Day and take the day off but, I do not understand what does Memorial Day have to do with urban education.

Is the link between Memorial Day and urban education related to the people living in these communities or is it the relation of the day to the people. Is it that the populations in urban schools are immigrants and they do no really need this day to morn? If it is not that then is it the thousand and thousands of people who died in the front lines of War are from urban communities? Is it the idea of Memorial Day to celebrate our national freedom but yet people in urban communities are not really free? Is it because Memorial Day is a day of rest but children from urban community never real get the chance to rest? All these thought run in my head on why does Memorial Day and Urban community have do with one another.


Is it because it is a day to morn and honor the heroes who died from our nation but, not the heroes that did to keep us safe everyday? Perhaps it is because urban education does not touch upon this topic. I am a product of the urban education and I can only speak for myself. Throw out my years of schooling I do not remember learning about Memorial Day. All weekend I asked my peers if they know why we celebrate Memorial Day. No one really knows or have any ideas of what it is. Most simply thought it is the start of the summer.


My peers, who had a better understanding of what Memorial Day mean attended suburban schools. In their schools, the week before Memorial Day veterans would go to their school and take about Memorial Day. I have never seen or meet a veteran until my collage years and we never had a guest come into our to speak about other things but drugs.

What does Memorial Day have to do with urban eduction? If anything at all?

No comments: